ZAMBIA SUGAR plc, established in 1964 and now the largest cane sugar producer in Africa, is listed on the Lusaka Stock Exchange with 75% of shares held by the Illovo Group and the balance by institutional and private investors. The Nakambala agricultural and factory operations are based at Mazabuka in the southwest of the country, with the capacity to produce 450 000 tons of raw, brown, and refined sugar from cane supplied by our own operations, approximately 1.9 million tons, with 1.5 million tons delivered to the factory by our small to large-scale growers.
As the country’s leading sugar producer, Zambia Sugar’s primary focus is on the domestic market, producing a wide range of sugar products under its Whitespoon brand name, including Vitamin-A enriched direct consumption sugar (refined, brown, and household), raw sugar for industrial customers, syrup and speciality sugars for both local and export markets. The company also exports sugar to nearby regional markets. During the crushing season, electricity co-generation at the Nakambala factory provides sufficient power for all agriculture and factory operations, as well as for residential use.
- Corporate office situated in Lusaka
- Cane estates and sugar factory at Nakambala – southwestern Zambia
- Employs 6 700 permanent and non-permanent people
- Zambia Sugar plc, listed on Lusaka Stock Exchange
- One agricultural estate; largest capacity factory in Illovo group; one refinery
- Produces raw, brown, and refined sugar, as well as speciality sugars and syrup
- Internal electricity generation from renewable resources