ILLOVO SUGAR (SOUTH AFRICA) (Pty) Ltd (Illovo SA) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Illovo Group, with its operations including the cultivation of sugar cane and production of raw, brown, and refined sugar, syrup, together with the downstream products of furfural and its derivatives, ethyl alcohol and lactulose.
The company annually produces more than 550 000 tons of raw and refined sugar from 4.8 million tons of sugar cane cultivated by independent growers, together with a small tonnage of cane produced by Illovo’s own agricultural operations. Land holdings in South Africa have been strategically reduced from the mid-90’s to make way for the growth and development of Black smallholder cane growers within Illovo’s cane supply areas.
Illovo SA sugar markets are largely domestic, with sales into the world raw sugar market. Downstream products are primarily export focused. The company also operates a stateof-the-art sugar warehouse and distribution centre providing a strategic link between its sugar factories in KwaZulu-Natal and its nationally based customers. There are six sugar producers in South Africa with combined production of under 2 million tons.
Recognised as Illovo’s first presence in KwaZulu-Natal in 1891, Illovo SA today is an invested, long-term contributor to South Africa’s economy, committed to partnering for the continuing transformation of its agricultural & sugar production sectors.
- Situated in the KwaZulu-Natal
- Employs 2 900 permanent and non-permanent people
- Four agricultural estates; three sugar factories; one refinery; three wholly-owned downstream plants / 50% share in a distillery
- 30% investment in a further sugar factory and refinery
- Produces raw, brown and refined sugar, syrup, and downstream products
- Internal electricity generation from renewable resources