Illovo Sugar (Malawi) plc is listed on the Malawi Stock Exchange with 76% of the issued share capital held by the Illovo group and the balance by public and other institutional investors. The corporate office is based at Limbe with two operations at Nchalo in the south of Malawi and Dwangwa in the mid-central region, producing sugar cane and raw and refined sugar, together with speciality sugars at Nchalo. Illovo Malawi is the country’s sole sugar producer with more than 60% of total sugar sales sold to domestic consumer and industrial markets, and the balance exported to preferential markets in the EU and the USA, and the surrounding region.
In Malawi, as in Illovo’s other countries of operation with the exception of South Africa, the agricultural operations are significantly enhanced by a number of factors, including access to secure water sources for irrigation, excellent soils and ideal climatic conditions to promote optimum cane growth. Combined, these attributes result in high yielding sugar cane crops which are harvested annually.
- Illovo Sugar (Malawi) plc, listed on Malawi Stock Exchange
- Corporate office – Limbe
- Dwangwa – Mid-central region
- Nchalo – Southern region
- Two agricultural estates, two factories with refineries
- Produces raw and refined sugar, speciality sugars
- Internal electricity generation
- 5 759 permanent employees
- 3 558 seasonal agricultural workers at peak periods
Corporate Citizenship Report